Pending Legislation/ Public Hearing Notice
Notice of Public Hearing for Pending Legislation
109 Market Street, Denton, MD 21629
Legislative / Procedural Calendar
Legislative Bill #2023-002, AUTHORIZATION OF ADDITIONAL PROJECTS TO BE FUNDED FROM THE PROCEEDS OF THE CONSOLIDATED PUBLIC IMPROVEMENT AND REFUNDING BONDS OF 2019
Summary: AN Act amending and supplementing Bill #2019-3. FOR the purpose of, in effect, authorizing and empowering County Commissioners of Caroline County, Maryland to use and apply a portion of the proceeds of the $34,210,000 County Commissioners of Caroline County Consolidated Public Improvement and Refunding Bonds of 2019 (the “2019 Bonds”) to the costs of certain additional projects identified herein as Federalsburg Elementary Roof Replacement, North Caroline High School Roof Replacement, Preston Elementary Roof Replacement and Fretterd Center HVAC.
First Reading and Introduction:
- August 15, 2023
Notice of Public Hearing:
- August 20, 2023 (Sunday Star Democrat)
Second Reading and Public Hearing:
- September 5, 2023; 9:15 AM
Third Reading, Deliberation & Potential Amendment and/or Enactment:
- September 12, 2023
Anticipated Effective Date:
- October 27, 2023
Please Note: This schedule is subject to change if additional deliberation is required.
Procedural Requirements – Summary
(See ACM, Local Government Article, §9-311 and CPLLCC §18-3):
- Introduce on a legislative day.
- Publish a fair summary of the bill in newspaper at least once prior to hearing.
- Conduct a public hearing, not less than 7 days after introduction.
- Post a copy of the bill and notice of hearing at Courthouse, publish a fair summary of the bill and notice of the hearing at least once in a newspaper of general circulation prior to the hearing.
- Enact the bill on a legislative day and publish notice of enactment including a fair summary of the bill in a newspaper of general circulation at least three times, at weekly intervals, within a four-week period following passage.
- Bills become effective 45 days after enactment or at a later date if specified in the law.
Procedure for Counting Days
- Exclude the day of the event that triggers the period;
- If the time required is more than seven days, count every day, including intermediate Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays;
- If the time required is seven days or less, intermediate Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays are not counted.
- Include the last day of the period, but if the last day is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the period continues to run until the end of the next day that is not a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday.