Minor Subdivision

Minor Subdivisions are the first four lots that have been divided from the same originating parcel or one of its subdivisions since November 30, 1972. The minor subdivision process follows the following general outline. Contact Matt Kaczynski at 410-479-8107 with questions about subdivisions.
  1. Determine your subdivision potential. Check with Planning and Codes (410-479-8100) to see if there is anything already on file indicating subdivision potential. If there is nothing on file, you must hire a surveyor and/or land use attorney to determine your subdivision potential. You may find that there is no subdivision potential and it's best to learn that early in the process.
  2. Contact Environmental Health (410-479- 8045) to complete a Water and/or Sewer Verification Form (if existing parcel has existing well/septic systems) and or complete a PERC test for any building lots.
  3. If you have not already done so, hire a surveyor and have a Worksheet Plat submitted to Environmental Health. The Worksheet Plat is a free review done by Environmental Health in an attempt to resolve design issues prior to official plat submittal at Planning and Codes.
  4. Formally submit your plats. You will need seven paper copies, a completed and signed application, a signed surveyor checklist and your fees. Please contact both Planning and Codes and Environmental Health for fee information.
  5. The Review. Subdivisions will be initially reviewed by the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC).
  6. Resubmittal. Resubmittals should be made per the comments of all the reviewing agencies and Planning and Codes. Contact Matt Kaczynski at 410-479-8100 with any questions or concerns.
  7. Final Submittal. Submit 5 paper & 2 mylar copies with all additional agreements and associated fees.
  8. Recordation. If no further corrections or documentation is required the plat will be signed by the Health Department and Planning & Codes and then will be sent to the Clerk of Circuit Court for recordation.

Excise Tax

Excise tax is assessed by the Department of Planning and Codes for all new lots and is collected upon transfer of the lot by the Caroline County Tax Office. The tax is collected for School Construction and Agricultural Preservation. 
  • The excise tax for School Construction is $5,000 and is assessed on all new lots.
  • The excise tax for Agricultural Preservation is $750 and is assessed on all new lots created in the R-Rural Zoning District.
For more information, contact Matt Kaczynski at 410-479-8100. 

Forms & Additional Information